Very slow password validation

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at wowway.com
Fri Aug 15 01:57:06 UTC 2008

Tomas Mraz wrote:
>> Anyway, the problem seems to be an initial login as root, even at
>> runlevel 3 and on a vt. Later logins do not seem to have the delay.
>
> You could set up pam temporarily for the console login so it would not
> call any pam modules except of pam_permit.so. This could help to
> eliminate the initial delay and then try to call su with the regular pam
> configuration.

Fortunately the problem went away or at least went into dormancy.  The
last login took 5 quick counts to complete.

I have the following pam related packages installed and version.

pam-devel-1.0.1-5.fc10.i386
pam_krb5-2.3.0-1.i386
gnome-keyring-pam-2.23.6-2.fc10.i386
pam_ccreds-7-3.fc10.i386
pam_smb-1.1.7-8.2.2.i386
pam_passwdqc-1.0.5-1.i386
pam-1.0.1-5.fc10.i386
pam_pkcs11-0.5.3-26.i386

Regarding Jerry's idea about /etc/nsswitch.conf which is unchanged and
dated 2004.

I'll read up on dealing with pam related programs and see if the slow
login returns, hopefully not though.
Password Authentication does seem where it was hanging up for first logins.

Jim

--
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge
is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods."