No mouse cursor in {flux|open}box until an application is opened

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Mon Dec 1 14:41:19 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-28 at 19:59 -0500, Scott Robbins wrote:
> A recent fresh install of F10 from DVD seemed normal enough.  Gnome and
> KDE boot normally, everything is fine.
> However, I prefer fluxbox.  I installed it afterwards, but when I type
> startx, there is no mouse cursor.  This is on an Acer Aspire 4720z,
> which uses the synaptics driver.  The older Fedora versions have that
> entry in xorg.conf on this machine.  The later Rawhide test installs
> don't have an xorg.conf, of course, but it worked fine with them as
> well.

Suppressing the initial cursor is more or less expected.  We added a
patch for that to make the transition from plymouth to gdm prettier, in
which the server doesn't show a cursor until an application defines one.
However, there was a logic error in the patch which made it actually
suppress the cursor until the third or fourth time you defined one.
Oops.

I could have sworn I'd fixed that in F10 as well as in upstream, but it
appears not.  I'll push an F10 update.

- ajax