No mouse cursor in {flux|open}box until an application is opened

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Mon Dec 1 14:55:49 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 09:41:19AM -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-11-28 at 19:59 -0500, Scott Robbins wrote:

> > However, I prefer fluxbox.  I installed it afterwards, but when I type
> > startx, there is no mouse cursor.  This is on an Acer Aspire 4720z,
> > which uses the synaptics driver.  The older Fedora versions have that
> > entry in xorg.conf on this machine.  The later Rawhide test installs
> > don't have an xorg.conf, of course, but it worked fine with them as
> > well.
>
> Suppressing the initial cursor is more or less expected.  We added a
> patch for that to make the transition from plymouth to gdm prettier, in
> which the server doesn't show a cursor until an application defines one.
> However, there was a logic error in the patch which made it actually
> suppress the cursor until the third or fourth time you defined one.
> Oops.

Heh, well, many who know me will tell you that I'm often guilty of logic
errors.

> I could have sworn I'd fixed that in F10 as well as in upstream, but it
> appears not.  I'll push an F10 update.

It's rather trivial as I've mentioned.  I see now that another rawhide
install had had the same issue, but I'd never noticed it because
usually, after opening fluxbox or openbox, I immediately open either a
terminal or browser and have keyboard shortcuts to do it.

Thanks very much for the response and your efforts.  Let me know when
you've pushed the update and I'll test it.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Giles: I suspect your mother would want to... put it on the
refrigerator.
Buffy: Yeah. She saw these scores and her head spun around and
exploded.
Giles: I've been on the Hellmouth too long, that was metaphorical,
yes?
Buffy: Yes.