Yum and Yumex

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Dec 3 12:53:11 UTC 2008

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008, Alan Cox wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 02, 2008 at 05:56:08PM -0600, Jerry Amundson wrote:
>> On 12/2/08, Leslie Satenstein <lsatenstein at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> So, one wrong delete and you will find yourself having to reinstall.
>>
>> Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do this.
>> Doctor: Then don't do that.
>
> Customer: It blows up when I do this
> Manufacturer: Don't do that then
> <Exit customer in range to find lawyer)
>
> I question your analogy. Things that blow up on you should be sure to confirm
> first, or better yet not blow up

Both yum and yumex confirm before taking any destructive action.

However, if the user runs yum with a -y they have excplicitly offered
confirmation.

What more can we do?

Make a --really-force like mkraid has?

Hell, we even offer a yum plugin which keeps transactions removing certain
pkgs or transactions of a certain size from running at all.

-sv