Yum and Yumex

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Dec 4 20:45:34 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 15:39:46 -0500,
  Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Dec 2008, Chris Adams wrote:
>
>> Once upon a time, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> said:
>>> My expectation was that -y was just OK'ing a list of updates, not bypassing
>>> security checks.
>>
>> Well, the documentation says -y means "assume that the answer to any
>> question which would be asked is yes", so I don't see why you'd think
>> otherwise (since yum only asks yes/no questions).
>
> I like Alan's suggestions. I would happily see code added to the
> protect-packages plugin which asks you random math questions to make sure
> you're paying attention.

I just didn't expect to be asked about that; I assumed it would just fail.

The reason I use -y is often things run long enough that I want to start
an update of my mirror and then do a yum update, but not have to stick
around to answer normal questions. I haven't read the documentation for
a while, so maybe there is already a safer way to do that, that I just don't
know about. I'm making a note to do that and see if there are any new
goodies I have missed.