How to turn a functioning laptop into something useless

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Sun Dec 7 02:23:47 UTC 2008

On Sat, Dec 06, 2008 at 07:04:27PM -0700, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> With both "acpi_pm_good" and "hpet=force", and one is not enough,
> it looks like that at last I stopped loosing time.

Oops!  I spoke too fast.  I did measure that a number of times and
it seemed to be ok; but I was doing other things there as well.
Now I left that box alone for over an hour.  The time was ok around
18:05.  Now here is 19:15:46 and my laptop clock shows 18:41:06, i.e.
over 34 minutes behind.  An output from 'hwclock -r' is correct
(until it will get clobbered on a shutdown).

In dmesg I see (with 'hpet=force'):

hpet clockevent registered
hpet0: at MMIO 0xfed00000, IRQs 2, 8, 0
hpet0: 3 64-bit timers, 14318180 Hz
tracer: 772 pages allocated for 65536 entries of 48 bytes
   actual entries 65620
ACPI: RTC can wake from S4

Apparently 'hpet' clock is not good anyway.  Ideas?  /proc/cpuinfo
gives:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 2
model name      : Mobile Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.00GHz
stepping        : 7
cpu MHz         : 1999.763
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe up pebs bts cid xtpr
bogomips        : 3999.52
clflush size    : 64
power management:

    Michal