F10: PC clock lacking behind with 20 minutes

Peter Glassenbury (CSSE) P.Glassenbury at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Dec 11 01:36:28 UTC 2008

Alexander Todorov wrote:
> Good morning,
> that's exactly what I did. I went to BIOS and set the time to correct
> value.
> Rebooted the machine and pressed F2 so it stays in the BIOS settings
> screen for
> several hours. The turned it off for several hours during the night and
> turned
> it on again today. No change in the clock readings.
>
> This sounds like a kernel bug but I'm still not sure what info to
> provide if I file a bug report. Any hints?

Does your laptop have a variable speed CPU ? There are notes
on ntp.org (?) on how ntp doesn't like the tick speed varying.
(and if your CPU slows down because it isn't doing much....)

I have had this problem with some HP desktops and while I haven't
fixed it yet, my current workings is to get the latest BIOS
(just in case) and disable the cpuspeed parameter in the
system-config-services (which I just noticed today)

cpuspeed
This throttles your CPU runtime frequency to save power. Many modern laptop CPU's support this
feature and now most new desktops support this. Users should enable only if they are users of
Pentium-M, Centrino, AMD PowerNow, Transmetta, Intel SpeedStep, Athlon-64, Athlon-X2, Intel Core 2
hardware. Laptop users are highly recommended to leave this enabled. Disable this if you want your
CPU to remain at a fixed state.

A couple of things to try.

Pete