is there a problem with sha1sum?

Clyde E. Kunkel clydekunkel7734 at cox.net
Sat Dec 20 23:23:45 UTC 2008

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 13:29:16 -0500, Clyde wrote:
>
>> I've downloaded an .iso using wget and each time I run sha1sum against
>> it I get a diferrent result, none of which is the correct one.  The file
>> is on an LV--don't know why that would matter tho.  Repeated the
>> download using the browser download capability and same result.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Is this with Rawhide?
>
> Is it reproducible with
>  - md5sum
>  - sha224sum, sha256sum, sha384sum, sha512sum
> ? ;)
>
> Can you try other [similar] operations like running bzip2 to compress
> the iso and bunzip2 to uncompress it?
>
> Have you run memtest86 on that system?

This is rawhide, reproducible with md5sum, memtest86 runs clean;
however, the same problem occurs when booted into another distro.  So, I
downloaded again to a newly formatted single ext3 partition and sha1sum
matches.  Therefore, I believe there is either a hardware problem with
one of the drives that is providing a PV for the LV the problem .iso
lies on, or there is a problem with lvm2. Will try some other tricks.

Thanks for the suggestions!!