problems with ATI driver, X starts and hangs :(

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Tue Dec 30 21:35:51 UTC 2008

Antonio Olivares wrote:
> applied updates and got new kernel:
>
> kernel-2.6.29-0.6.rc0.git2.fc11
>
> Got three machines, can boot at least one machines.  The machine with ATI card does not work correctly X starts, but hangs.  IT does not make a difference if I start in level 5 or from level 3 as soon as I startx I see the mouse pointer and the machine hangs.  I am not worrying much because school's back in Jan. 5 when the machine will be needing to work for the students to use.  Good thing I can fall back to Fedora 9 on that same machine in case the problem does not go away till then .  Just an FYI, was not going to update machines but I had to come to school for other work, so I put in updates not to get too far behind :)
>
> Regards,
>
> Antonio

As David Jones mentioned in his reply to "rawhide report: 20081230 changes"

"At this stage, the kernel is "whoa, it builds!" stage, so I'm
not overly surprised that some stuff broke."

We can expect slow progress on the radeon driver or any other work from
David Airlie for the next month(s)
since he will probably be paying all his attention to his wife and his
new born baby.  ( well when it finally enters this realm )

Just patiently gather data and file reports..

JBG