Where has the F10 DVD iso file gone?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Dec 31 04:27:42 UTC 2008

Lawrence E. Graves wrote:
> There's no need to be nasty, I very new at this and had no idea what's
> involve (as I mentioned before) in the making of an ISO.  One day if I
> keep at it I will be as good as you profess to be.

The idea is fine, and should be taken seriously. IMV the main topic for
discussion is "how often."

The resources are available, there are people making unofficial respins.
I think "management" needs to take a good hard look at how to make those
unofficial builds official.

It doesn't make sense to me to report a problem unless my software
(especially in Fedora, OpenSUSE etc) is fully up to date.

A respin done on the first of the month (unless circumstances such as
brokenware mandate otherwise), published and provisional for a week then
made official (unless circumstances mandate otherwise).

On first thought the major risk here is that a broken Anaconda gets in
and makes the result uninstallable. That sort of thing has happened in
the past, it _could_ happen in Fedora.

A good alternative might be a weekly updates ISO, that contains just the
latest versions of everything not in the base release, and formatted as
a repo. Then, instead of downloading six CD images I'd have downloaded
seven.

The updates image would be a good candidate for updating with jigdo too,
basically all users need to do keep their ISO set current would be to
run jigdo to get its latest .jigdo file and template, and the new packages.

Anaconda might need training to look for the updates CD or ISO image.
That doesn't seem a big deal, I notice it can find install ISOs pretty
well regardless of their filenames. Which reminds me, I have a CentOS to
install.

CU

--

Cheers