cron / mrtg problem

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Thu Feb 7 22:51:41 UTC 2008

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 09:25:07PM +0100, Robert M. Albrecht wrote:
> I use mrtg to monitor some network devices. Running from the cli is fine,
> but running from cron I get strange errors (for the last past few weeks).
> Currently I have no clue if this is a mrtg or a cron problem. Any ideas ?
> Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/bin/mrtg
> line 1366.

Just guessing but it looks like that mrtg expects to see something
in environment, and it gets it when you are running from a command
line. cron, quite deliberately, has that enviroment quite reduced.
Did you try to look at that line 1366?  Of course that "something"
would have be initialized somewhere earlier.

If you will identify what that may be then you can always run
mrtg via a wrapper which will provide a missing piece.

   Michal