Keyboard problem after latest updates

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Sat Feb 23 15:09:14 UTC 2008

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 03:30:44PM +0100, Antonio M wrote:

> tnx Kevin,
>
> I think that this is a (good) workaround, but system should not
> destroy my settings and developer should take care of it (and possibly
> to restore it)

This is a "Pearl of Wisdom" which recently David Zeuthen deigned to
bestow on me in a response to a report which turned out to be
settings/interface breakage; with a very non-obvious (ok, for me)
and hard to find replacement, I may add.

"Sorry, but this is Fedora; there is no expectation of settings
being preserved from one version to another".

I think that this is obviously wrong but some do have this attitude
and is apparently very hard to do something about it.

Moreover in this particular case for a person who did that breakage,
and was aware what is going on, it was a simple matter of adding
some package scripts with gconftool-2 which would read old settings
and write corresponding new ones as needed (very far from obvious
what new ones may be and no idea what were reasons behind the
change) to avoid the problem.  Yes, you would have to walk through
all user accounts on a machine.  This is a nature of the beast.  As
things stand expect much more "fun" of that sort after realease as
the report was closed with a blatantly false "NOTABUG".

   Michal