F9alpha and KDE4

Lubomir Kundrak lkundrak at redhat.com
Mon Feb 25 11:36:00 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 03:35 -0600, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 11:57 PM, John Summerfield
> <debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
> > I think I'm going to adopt Gnome at last. I've never been a regular
> >  Gnome user since 1.x but that might change.
> >
> >  This system was installed as an F8 beta, and upgraded (with some
> >  difficulty) on the weekend to the Development series.
> >
> >  First, I use KDM and on F8 I'd managed to get rid of the Fedora image,
> >  which I do not like, and I had a plain blue background.
> >
> >  With the upgrade it's a lovely grey moire pattern. At least it largely
> >  adopted my settings.
> >
> >  I login using KDE and find that it's using some of my settings, ignoring
> >  others. I use 20 desktops (well, configure 20 desktops but I often use
> >  2/3 or more of them). In the pager, until now I've had them displayed in
> >  three rows. KDE4 thinks I want two.
> >
> >  I use Konsole a lot.I have a white background as I find that easier to
> >  use. KDE4 thinks I want black so I don't need to bother reading it.
> >
> >  However trendy a black panel might seem to others, my senior's eyes find
> >  it ugly. I can't find a way to configure it.
> >
> >  I like a plain coloured desktop background. I'm fairly flexible as to
> >  colour, on my SL5 box it's a bluish gradientI certainly don't want a
> >  grapics images with lots of waves on it, it doesn't look good to me and
> >  I'm sure it's not very compatible with VNC: I use remote desktop quite a
> >  lot for accessing computers, rather than bother with monitors and such.
> >  Right-click, "Configure Desktop" allows me to choose between a single
> >  image or a slideshow. I want neither, just a nice blue or green or
> >  mustard background. In KDE3 I can configure lots of stuff there.
> >
> >  In KDE3 I have left-click pop up the applications menu, and middle-click
> >  produces a window list. I can't see how to set that in KDE4.
> >
> >  I generally have taskbar never group, and only display the current
> >  desktop. Can't see how to get KDE4 to do that.
> >
> >  All that's cosmetic.
> >  I really do not like the new applications menu. I can't find stuff I
> >  want, such as control-centre (so I can fix the settings), Firefox, the
> >  office software I think is there and so on. I've spent an hour or two on it.
> >
> >  I don't want another radically different UI. I regularly switch between
> >  Linux (mostly KDE3, but sometimes Gnome), Windows XP and Server, Apple
> >  OS X. I don't need another UI to track.
> >

> Well, KDE4 does not share config with old kde, and so you should kill
> your home .kde before starting.  That will give you the basic.
>
> Nevertheless, I have tested KDE4 and agree with you. It is just not
> ready. It lacks many features for which I had started using KDE in the
> first place.

It's not actually meant to be completely ready. On the other hand, we do
still include KDE3, don't we? If I'm wrong then it's ....not nice
situation for KDE users (I use Gnome anyways :).

KDE4 wont't be bad once it's finished. I tried it from the live media
and was impressed with the artwork and speed. Well, there's not much to
the dekstop environment, is it? :)