RPM problem -- made even worse

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Mon Feb 25 23:15:21 UTC 2008

> On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 14:46 -0800, Alan wrote:
>> >
>> > Have you tried yum-complete-transaction?
>> > If not do this:
>> >
>> > yum install yum-utils
>> >

>> > yum-complete-transaction
>> >
>> > it should clean up your aborted transactions.
>>
>> Oh crap did that screw things up.  It deleted about a dozen packages.
>> Now
>> whenever i try and log in I get "unable to authenticate" for EVERY user
>> (including root) on the box.
>
> boot it up in single user mode and see if you can get in and/or booting
> with init=/bin/sh

I can get it to boot.  Now I need to figure out what it deleted.

I may have to work on it tonight since I only have wireless access at work.

> It should have removed those packages, if the transaction was where you
> claim then those were just extras left hanging around.

Since this has happened more than once, it may have gotten something else.

install.log does not list what got deleted.  I will search for a yum log.

> Then again there are lots of cases where simply finishing out the
> removal portion of the transaction isn't enough.

I guess so.