kernel-2.6.23.13-105.fc8 locks up computer when starting X

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.com
Thu Jan 17 11:58:45 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 18:47 -0600, Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 10:20 -0500, Kyle McMartin wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 05:59:07AM -0600, Mike Chambers wrote:
> > > This kernel, up to and including .108 (?) boots up to x, then the screen
> > > gets garbage and locks up the machine, no
> > > keyboard/mouse/monitor/anything.
> > >

> > You've failed to provide any sort of useful debugging information. What
> > video chipset do you use? What architecture?
>
> Oops, forgot.  i686 PIV 2.8Ghz 1G Ram, ATI x1300 AGP card.

Ok, have helped narrow down at least, when it will work and when it
wont.

1 - Currently with F8 + updates (but using kernel-2.6.23.9-85.fc8), my
system (most specifically X) works just fine, to include the proper
resolution.

2 - Update to *any* .13 kernel, and my monitor nor keyboard does not,
with it's *current* setup.

3 - Now, currently because the kernel and drivers and so forth work
correctly, they pick up my video card and monitor ID"s just fine, and
currently work without an xorg.conf file.

4 - If I go through s-c-d and just accept what is there and hit OK, one
gets created.  Ok, system still works just fine.

5 - So now I boot using the updated .13-x kernels, and X works this
time, *BUT* I don't get the proper screen resolution.  So it's like not
accepting some ID's or not detecting my hardware properly.  And I can't
select my resolution because it's not offered, like only generic ones
are at this point.

6 - To help explain it further, if I was to remove my xorg.conf file
totoally, let it boot a .13 kernel, then the screen goes gibberish when
starting X, so it did*not* detect the hardware properly.

7 - Boot with the current .9 kernels and it finds hardware )it all uses
vesa driver currently) and lets X start and using proper resolution.

Soo, upon saying all that, .9 kernels detect hardware correctly and
works, .13-x kernels don't.  .9 Kernels give me my proper resolutions
and such, .13-x kernels don't.

Hope that helps and guess unless a kernel maintainer chimes in or one is
already created, I'll see about posting bug report after work today.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"The best lil town on Earth!"