..MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC

Arne Chr. Jorgensen achrisjo at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 20 20:27:15 UTC 2008

hi,

Thank you both, Milos and Chuck. Now I plan to become a bit
difficult ;)

What would be the fast-track in learning as to Fedora and hardware ?
It's a pity that there isn't a "Fedora-docking" site for exchange of
configuration files per computer model !
( I don't know half of what the kernel configure options are, what is
needed, and all that. Haven't compiled a kernel in years ) Then of
course, there are all sorts of config files many other places.

Chuck, - I am not sure I understand what you meant

> Hmm...
>
> > ATI board detected. Disabling timer routing over 8254.
>
> Try the "enable_8254_timer" kernel option? If that works, make sure
> the system clock isn't running twice as fast as it should.

Your thought here is that the 8254 timer is connected to day/time clock ?
( if not, I sure would have a problem in detecting a wrong speed )

Milos:

> I can get rid of it (i.e. displaying the message) by adding the "noapic" option
> to the kernel parameters (in /etc/grub.conf)...try this or similar options, maybe > it helps.

Hmm...guess that might work like it is running at the moment, except you get rid
of the message.

Since I wrote and asked, then attempting to understand your ideas here, I just had
some closer look at the topic.

The ERROR seem to be:

ACPI Error (tbfadt-0453): 32/64X address mismatch in "Pm2ControlBlock": [00008800] [0000000000008100], using 64X [20070126]

A software bug, a wrong value set in the Fixed ACPI Description table. This is serious, many times you will not be able to start the kernel. A long list of errors,
as only one CPU will run, pluss other related problems. I think the 8254 is used
for trottling and such. This timer may also involve the interrupt structure. The wrong addressing may be the reason for the later problems seen in the "dmesg" files
that I included. For some reason, when the latest kernel refuse to run, I may start
the computer with the older kernel. Then the latest kernel may start working again.
The serial port ( modem ) doesn't work, and I don't find io from switches etc. - but
the card-reader and USB seems to be in place.

This should be reported to those that is dealing with this stuff. ( not sure how to
report the error, if it is redhat or linux, etc.)

Are there any pages of a conceptual schematic or structure for the hardware anywhere ?  ( guess they don't write code without )

//ARNE

Chuck Ebbert <cebbert at redhat.com> wrote: On 01/18/2008 05:14 AM, Arne Chr. Jorgensen wrote:
> hi,
>

> I wish I was able to break all of this down, as I don't
> understand much of it. Hope someone here may add some
> comment.
>

> On a HP-Compac 6715b, I got the included errors. It would
> only recognize text mode during install ( text mode install
> has errors that hasn't been corrected since ? FC5 ? ) and
> I had to download propritary driver from ATI. Several
> applications fails ( could seem like a timer error ? )
>
> Anyway, I include the /var/log/dmesg files for 2 Fedora8

Hmm...

> ATI board detected. Disabling timer routing over 8254.

Try the "enable_8254_timer" kernel option? If that works, make sure
the system clock isn't running twice as fast as it should.

To unsubscribe: