Current Rawhide just a bit too raw

Jonathan Kamens jik at kamens.brookline.ma.us
Tue Jan 22 15:33:16 UTC 2008

On 01/22/2008 10:09 AM, David Mack wrote:
> In /etc/sysconfig/desktop, change DISPLAYMANAGER:
>
> export DISPLAYMANAGER=XDM
>
> You don't need gdm to run Gnome.

Did that.  Ran "telinit 3" and then "telinit 5" to reset things, which
cause XDM to come up as expected.  Typed my username and password.  It
ran my old .xsession file from before I started using GNOME.  Deleted
the old .xsession file and logged out and typed my username and password
again.  Now the login window flashes as if it's trying to log me in and
then comes back.  Something's obviously failing, but ~/.xsession-errors
is empty.  So whatever XDM is trying to do to figure out what it should
run when I log in, apparently isn't working.  Had to switch back to GDM
to be able to log in.