2.6.24 kernel released...for F7, F8 and F9?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Jan 27 00:49:45 UTC 2008

Jim Cornette wrote:
> John Summerfield wrote:
>> Jim Cornette wrote:
>>> drago01 wrote:
>>>

>>> I like the older releases keeping the older versions. I have to run
>>> the older version because of a network lockup which rawhide kernels
>>> exhibit.
>>
>> If you want that kind of stability, you can have it with CentOS.
>
> If you reference versions as snapshots of current development with
> limited support life cycles, it would disadvantage people who decided to
> stay back in the earlier snapshots. It distracts productive time from
> developers in my opinion to have to provide parallel support for
> different timestamped versions which will reach end of life shortly.
> Only security updates should be offered for the earlier versions.
> An exception would be for removing and closing an open bug ticket for a
> problem that is not fixed until a later version which requires no
> excessive amount of work for the developer in order to make a version
> for the older release.
> If it is relatively certain that no bugs will be introduced when the
> kernel is upgraded on older versions, go ahead and provide an update.
> I have a problem with hardware breakage for updated versions of a
> kernel. Others are bound to have similar problems. For Fedora 7, aren't
> the devices called /dev/hdx still? Wouldn't that cause a lot of grief
> for Fedora 7 users?
>
> Just my view. I'll know to stay back to a .23 if Fedora 8 goes to the
> .24 version for now.

It's your choice, but if you regard Fedora as a rolling beta you're be
close to the mark.

Red Hat gets to test and evaluate (users responses to) new technology.
Technology tested here may make its way into RHEL. An old kernel will
never get into RHEL, so once there's a new kernel there's no point for
RH to support supporting an old kernel.

If you want to carry that load fine, but from what I've seen RH carries
the Fedora kernel.

Think, if you had a financial interest in where Fedora goes - say you
were basing your own distro and support from Fedora's progress, and you
decided to hire a few people to work on it.

Would those workers work on parts of no significance to you? _I_'d
identify technologies key to what _I_ want and point them at those.
Maybe the KDE desktop and KDE applications.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait