snake-install fails for x86_64 Rawhide

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Mon Jan 28 14:11:27 UTC 2008

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
> I loaded fc8 on an amd64 test machine and installed snake.
> snake-install frp://limestone.uoregon.edu/fedora/development/x86_64/os
>

> This downloaded some files.
>
> On reboot, I got the loading messages about the same as with diskboot.img.
> As with diskboot.img, Linux failed to execute /init and the kernel
> panicked.
>
> At least with snake I seem to be able to reboot fc8 by selecting it at the
> grub screen.

snake-install using the URL posted (ftp) seems to be okay today ...
however the URL now references the 20080128 rawhide tree.

For a few trees, the initrd was basically empty.  I wonder if you were
hitting the issue fixed by
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/anaconda?p=anaconda.git;a=commitdiff;h=3925db50647c36832173523fa4c60935fbaede20

Thanks,
James