partition tip ?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Jan 29 03:37:22 UTC 2008

Arne Chr. Jorgensen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks.
>
>> Note.
>> You cannot move the start point of any partition.
>> You can join two or more partitions to make one larger partition, but
>> you can only do this and retain the (physically) first of the partitions.
>>

> It's possible to have dual boot, like Fedora + Windows.  Is it not possible
> to  have a  dual  boot,  like  FC6 and F8 ?

I don't understand why you ask that. I have had for or five different
Linux distros on one disk.

> For LV  -  there is resize2fs,  and lvreduce commands.
>
> In this case,  disk would be expensive.  There is a Raid Array Controller, and
> Fedora uses:
> Fusion MPT base driver 3.04.04
> Copyright (c) 1999-2007 LSI Logic Corporation
>
> It would be nice to have it split up, so you could run test versions.

If your CPUs have hardware virtualisation, then you can test inside xen
or kvm. It doesn't test everything, of course.

I have already outlined the basic procedure. If you can't backup your
data, and you can't add to your disk storage then I suggest a cheaper
test system (depending on what you need to test). I really don't like
risking important data by doing inherently risky things with my disks.

There is nothing better than a separate test system with all the
hardware you need to do the testing you need to do. It neither disrupts
not risks your production workload.

--

Cheers
John