Moving panel icons in rawhide kde?

Mike C mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 14:51:50 UTC 2008

Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler <at> chello.at> writes:

> Sorry, but it was completely pointless to bring this up again.
> We already have a bug filed for that, I reopened it as soon as
> I upgraded kdebase-workspace to 4.1 and had to drop the patch
> for now and I'm very well aware of this issue.

OK my apologies since I did not know that and only saw that it seemed to be
a reversion in rawhide compared to F9.

> Unfortunately, they appear to consider this a "new feature" and want to
> add this only in 4.2 at the earliest.

I am quite surprised at that since one would have thought that it would
have been a pretty basic part of desktop functionality.

I am glad you are pushing this from the Fedora end.

> IMHO Kickoff is broken by design. YMMV.

+1

> KDE 4.1 will have a folderview applet which will be pointed to ~/Desktop
> by default, that should make desktop icons work better.
> There's also a quicklaunch applet (i.e. the icons on the panel)
> being worked on, but it appears not to have made 4.1 (which is now
> feature-frozen), it's still in playground.

Sounds like a big improvement but shame it will be delayed to 4.2

I guess users like myself who generally follow the Fedora lists don't
get to see the upstream discussions and thinking unless we specifically
go to the KDE development lists. However I, and I am sure many others,
do appreciate the efforts that you and others put in to make sure that
work does go into making KDE usable and functional especially with the
huge change that has taken place between 3.5 and 4.x