fedora 9 help with unknown symbols in kernel -- cap_capget cap_capset_set

Skunk Worx skunkworx at verizon.net
Mon Jun 16 23:05:45 UTC 2008

Hello,

I asked over on 'users' a few days ago and no help yet. I hope you don't
mind my repeating the question here.

We're a small company using some altera-based boards and our own driver
to control them.

Fedora 7 was working well, but we are getting some unknown symbols while
evaluating an upgrade to F9.

Any help, comments, suggestions are greatly appreciated.

---
John

code and issues :

   struct sched_param param = {70};
   kernel_cap_t effective, inheritable, permitted, all;

   cap_set_full(all); // be sure we have enough permissions to call
                      // sched_setscheduler.
                      // probably only need CAP_SYS_NICE, but let's be
                      // "(un)safe"

   // save old permissions
   cap_capget(current,&effective, &inheritable, &permitted);

   // setup permissions to do this
   cap_capset_set(current,&all, &all, &all);

   // setup realtime priority
   ret=sched_setscheduler(current,SCHED_RR,&param);

   // restore permissions
   cap_capset_set(current,&effective, &inheritable, &permitted);

used to be able to do this in f7 / 2.6.23 kernel, now we get:

WARNING: "cap_capset_set" [/usr/CSM/src/ONI/oni_driver/oni.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "cap_capget" [/usr/CSM/src/ONI/oni_driver/oni.ko] undefined!

when building and of course:

oni: Unknown symbol cap_capget
oni: Unknown symbol cap_capset_set

when insmod'ing under f9 / 2.6.25