boot splash missing in latest update

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Sun Jun 22 02:01:30 UTC 2008

I just updated to the latest, keren 2.6.26-0.74.rc6.git4.fc10.x86_64 #1
SMP.

When booting I get the error
could not start boot splash: No such device

If I remove the word "quiet" from the grub line I don't get the error

Whether or not I remove the word, it does boot.  That screen will
remain, but if, immediately after seeing it, I go ctl+alt+F2, the
message is still there--however, if I then do ctl+alt+F1, it will boot,
but with no messages on the screen.

If I remove the quiet option then it stops after
SELinux: Disabled at runtime.
type=1404 audit(series of numbers): selinux=0 auid=<series of numbers>
ses=<same series as auid>.
At that point, if I do ctl+alt+F2 I'm at a login prompt.  I can then go
back to ctl+alt+F1 and again be at a login prompt.

I boot into runlevel 3.  I get the same result, however, if I boot into
level 5.

I'm not quite sure what to look for. I don't see anything in
/var/log/messages nor boot log.
The splash.xpm is there in grub, and if I boot to the previous kernel, I
don't have this error.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: Okay, well, how long before you un-crypt it?
Willow: Hours. Days maybe. Anyone suggesting months would not
be accused of crazy talk.