X not working with latest updates

Jonathan Corbet lwn-ft at lwn.net
Mon Mar 3 15:44:01 UTC 2008

Adam Huffman <adam.huffman at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've seen a couple of other reports of X failures this weekend.  In my
> case, it doesn't seem to be driver specific.  With intel, vesa and
> nouveau drivers I find that X either ends up blank or with a white
> screen and a cursor.  I'm unable to switch to the console, perhaps
> owing to the ongoing X keyboard layout problems.

I had similar problems.  In my case, rerunning system-config-display
made things work again.

Sort of.  I have a lot of really *weird* keyboard mappings now that
weren't there before.  Hitting the up-arrow gets me the screenshot
dialog now.  PageUp seems to map to "/".  All of this on my DiNovo Laser
keyboard, which has worked great for the last year...  Also screen power
management doesn't work anymore, and the occasional refusal to set my
background is back.

jon