Fedora8 login confusion

hi,

Had trouble with the X-server after some updates, but believe I have
worked it out at last. ( missing links, error in configurations, etc )

But - something remain:  - I just have a blank screen if I do cntl-alt-f1..etc.

On another system, I get another login screen/session.  Any clue as
to where I should look for the error ?

It should drop me to text mode, what I said above isn't quite correct, as
the blank screen is X-server running but without any contents.

Where is this function implemented ?

//ARNE