Is It Worth Installing F9 Alpha?

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Mon Mar 10 02:52:30 UTC 2008

Robert L Cochran wrote:
> I downloaded the DVD iso of Fedora 9 Alpha some time ago. Is it still
> worth installing and then updating,
There is a lot of areas to cover in testing eg boot installer| install
process| first boot| server only| desktop only| different desktop
environments | different package combinations etc.

As releases get closer sometimes an early test iso might be made
available {not normally in the same way}. This is to provide some wider
testing of the installer etc before the build and wide distribution of
the actual beta etc iso.

Also, there is often boot.iso that can be used to do a network install,
though I can't see one right at the moment.

> or should I wait for a "beta"
> release...or will updating effectively give me the beta?
Yes. You wouldn't however be testing the installer, rather just the
package collection. Also missed is a chance to test upgrade from current
release whatever you have to the beta.

DaveT.