Is It Worth Installing F9 Alpha? (upstart)

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Tue Mar 11 02:30:58 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 10:38:06AM +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> >On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 03:12:07PM +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> >>upstart eh? I met that on ubuntu, I'm glad to see it. It probably
> >>explains another bug: this doesn't work:
> >>[summer at localhost ~]$ egrep mingetty.*clear /etc/inittab
> >>1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty --noclear tty1
> >>[summer at localhost ~]$
> >
> >If I understand things correctly, which here should not be assumed,
> >this is not a bug but a feature.
> >
> >OTOH it seems to me that this detail that scripts in /etc/event.d/
> >are not marked "config" is a BUG.
> >
> I think it's bug that /etc/inittab didn't get translated in the upgrade
> from f8 to f9a.

Here we come again to a "config" problem.  /etc/inittab is marked as
a configuration file.  Even if that would get translated that would
not help you at all as on the next update all these translations
would be silently clobbered.  Those files likely should be even
"config noreplace".

> I normally run a dozen mingettys, and then wonder about running some more;-)

That probably could be worked around by adding some extra file rpm
knows nothing about.  OTOH if you would want to modify some options
for already existing ones then on a longer run you are SOL.

  Michal