Building a kernel module separately

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Mar 12 06:00:08 UTC 2008

Those who've followed my recent questions will have noticed that I am
having a problem with f9alpha.

My latest idea to try to resolve this is to build different versions of
the sata_piix, libata and the others (I think there are four).

Despite the Jones Boy's claim, I'm sticking to the "it's a kernel bug"
thesis.

Currently I have a 2.6.24 kernel that works, and I can point my figner
all the the 2.6.25 kernels and assert they don't.

I've built kernels before, that's no problem. What I want to do this
time is to take some kernel modules from the source tree for 2.6.24 and
build them against a 2.6.25 kernel.

I'm aware that instructions exist for building out-of-tree modules, but
I don't know whether they work for modules currently in the source tree.

Any insights?

--

Cheers
John