Building a kernel module separately

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Mar 12 06:29:51 UTC 2008

Andrew Farris wrote:
> John Summerfield wrote:
>>
>> Those who've followed my recent questions will have noticed that I am
>> having a problem with f9alpha.
>>
>> My latest idea to try to resolve this is to build different versions
>> of the sata_piix, libata and the others (I think there are four).
>>
>> Despite the Jones Boy's claim, I'm sticking to the "it's a kernel bug"
>> thesis.
>>
>> Currently I have a 2.6.24 kernel that works, and I can point my figner
>> all the the 2.6.25 kernels and assert they don't.
>>
>> I've built kernels before, that's no problem. What I want to do this
>> time is to take some kernel modules from the source tree for 2.6.24
>> and build them against a 2.6.25 kernel.
>>

>> I'm aware that instructions exist for building out-of-tree modules,
>> but I don't know whether they work for modules currently in the source
>> tree.
>>
>> Any insights?
>
> Why not take one of the latest rawhide kernel srpms, let rpmbuild prep
> the source tree, then swap out the module code you want to try from
> 2.6.24, putting it in the tree, and then try building within that tree?

It's an idea, unless someone comes up with a better one I'll probably do
it. In the meantime, there's another kernel.

btw Is there a way to tell yumdownloader which source to get? it seems
only capable of getting the latest.

Oh, there's only nearly another kernel. I've got the source, not the
binaries.