Mar 12 Rawhide 64 Adventures

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R caf at omen.com
Thu Mar 13 02:40:13 UTC 2008

With the Mar 12 x86_64 boot.iso I was able to install rawhide
in text mode with some prodding.  For the first time Anaconda's
X server wouldn't work with an Nvidia 9600GT, forcing a
text mode install.

Partway through the install anaconda stalled installing jadetex(?).
I switched screens and ps -ef showed an incredible number of
processes.  After repeated killall -9 mktextfmt commands et al
anaconda finally finished.

The resulting installation booted.  After some wpa_supplicant
messages, Fedora announced it was shutting down eth0.
Indeed eth0 wasn't working.

What's the point of starting wpa_supplicant when 1) there is no
wireless installed and 2) no passwords are set?

I was able to get ethernet working manually.

Startx actually worked.  The default X server gives the proper
1920x1200 resolution but the video card's fan roars loudly.
The Nvidia beta test driver works nicely with FC8 but FC9
is above all that so it's back to a more primitive existience.

Selinux is not happy with X Windows.  But at least X works.

The dedicated cursor cluster up arrow key takes a screenshot instead of
moving the cursor.

Hardware: Intel dg33bu, core duo, 2GB, 4 SATA drives, Nvidia 9600GT

--
Chuck Forsberg    caf at omen.com   www.omen.com   503-614-0430
10255 NW Old Cornelius Pass Portland OR 97231   FAX 629-0665