F9 boot.iso not working with KVM

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Sun Mar 16 12:20:37 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-03-16 at 01:28 +0100, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> Hi,
> I just tried installing a virtual machine using the boot.iso image from F9
> rawhide and then the one from the F9 alpha release but in both cases I get
> stuck with a black window right after the bios messages. A centos 5.1
> install works fine. Has someone managed to install F9 with KVM? I'd like to
> play around with the new paravirtualized devices.

There is a small bug in how syslinux displays it's gui and KVM right
now.  If you hold shift while booting the guest you'll get the text
syslinux.  Or you can just focus the guest and hit enter (a couple
times?) and you'll see the kernel/initrd loading and the installer
start.

Jeremy Katz has been looking into this and I do believe he has it
bisected down to a single patch and is working up a fix hopefully.

The other thing you can do if you really want to see the graphical boot
loader is to call kvm-qemu with -std-vga

--
Jesse Keating