F9 x86_64 install possible without getting i386 packages?

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon Mar 17 20:34:53 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 05:47:51PM +0100, Patrick wrote:

> Will it be possible to freshly install F9 on say an x86_64 laptop and
> only get x86_64 packages and no i386 packages?

I do not think that anaconda is "smart enough" for that and I am
not aware of option which would force that kind of install.

OTOH you can run a regular installation and after that this:

    yum -y remove '*.i?86'

That will leave you with only x86_64 and noarch packages.

If you have concerns about a disk space then run a "Custom" install,
deselect in anaconda everything which can be deselected, and after
you installed some kind of "minimum" follow up with the command
above.  Now you can add whatever you wish to add running yum with
"--exclude='*.i?86'" (or you may add a corresponding line in
/etc/yum.conf - no quotes of any sort).  Using commands like
"groupinstall" you can quickly flesh up your installation with
desired facilities.

If you want to use 32-bit plugins with your web browsers you still
need _both_ nspluginwrapper.x86_64 and nspluginwrapper.i386.  The
later will pull in some additional 32-bit libraries but not that
much.

   Michal