Antique Video Cards

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Tue Mar 18 16:35:56 UTC 2008

> Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
>> --------------------------
>>> Message: 5
>>> Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 22:58:11 +0000 (UTC)
>>> From: Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at>
>>> Subject: Re: X.org server 1.5: An ABI Too Far?
>>> To: fedora-test-list at redhat.com

>>> A Radeon X1050 (which is an RV370 chipset, supported in both 2D and 3D
>>> by the Free radeon and r300_dri drivers) shouldn't be that hard to
>>> find. I don't know where you live, but where I live there are several
>>> such models available.
>>>
>>>         Kevin Kofler
>>>
>> The Portland Oregon area isn't the technological outpost it was when
>> I start work at Tektronix in 1968.  I checked Iguana Micro, ENU,
>> Pace Computers, and Fry's web sites.  Chances are they sold X1050
>> PCI boards at one time, but no more.  Fry's did list an AGP board,
>> but AGP is so yesterday.  My last four motherboards are PCI-E.
>>

> Have you tried Free Geek?  They had several PCI video cards at very
> affordable prices last time I was there.
>
> http://freegeek.org/sales.php
>
> The page seems to be a little out of date as they have newer stuff than
> what is listed there, including things like SATA and ethernet cables for
> $1.

Pacific Solutions still carries PCI video cards.  They may also have the
motherboard you are looking for.  http://www.pacificsolutions.com/

The only reason to care about the new video cards is if you are into games
or are running compiz or some other heavy OpenGL app.

A reason you might want a new motherboard is if you want hardware
virtualization.  Having a motherboard/cpu that supports it makes VMWare
run *so* much faster.