Yum is a memory pig to the tune of 3GB

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Mar 24 03:44:49 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 18:49:11 -0400,
  seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> 1. were you running it on x86_64 or x86?

x86_64

> 2. How many kernels do you have installed?

I had two installed before hand and it was installing a new one and removing
an old one in that update.

> 3. When was the operation 3GB in size? Was it during the actual running
> transaction?

The running transaction message had been displayed, but no messages for
an individual package had been displayed yet.

> 4. When was the last time you've run: rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*; rpm
> --rebuilddb

Never. But this was a fresh install last week.

Normally updates have been running on that machine in a pretty reasonable
time while testing rawhide. But for some reason this one was taking a
while.

The update on Friday was pretty large since all of the stuff that had
been held for the beta was released. I wasn't watching real closely
at the start, so maybe it had a slow startup as well, though once packages
were being updated it wasn't too bad (several seconds per package typically).

The cpu usage at that time was almost zero. iotop wasn't installed so I
didn't run that.

I keep an eye on things tomorrow when I apply the next set of updates.
Is there anything particularly useful you want me to capture?