nemiver i386 not listed in repo

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de
Tue Mar 25 12:08:03 UTC 2008

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 07:40:35 -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 22:37 -0700, Peter Gordon wrote:
> > Actually, the package _isn't_ there. They should both be in the x86_64
> > tree (the i386 package simply duplicated into it). However, only the
> > nemiver-devel.i386 is present, the base nemiver.i386 package is not
> > there.
> >
> > I can confirm that this also seems to happen with the
> > download.fedora.redhat.com (the mirrors' master, IIRC)
> >
> > This seems at first glance to me like a bug in whatever created the
> > repo, since the devel subpackage contains an explicit dependency on the
> > main package of the same NVR. Hmm. :|
>
> Actually it looks like a packaging bug.  nemiver-devel-0.5.1-1.fc9.i386
> has a require of nemiver-0.5.1-1.fc9, which nemiver-0.5.1-1.fc9.x86_64
> satisfies.  Usually a -devel package will have a .so symlink to an
> actual library file that is in an arch specific package, which is how
> the arch specific multilib package gets pulled into the repo.

The packaging suffers also from another bug.
libnemicommon.pc refers to libnemicommon.so in default search
path, but in the main package the library is in /usr/lib/nemiver/
Even if the search path were adjusted, linking to it with -lnemicommon
would fail later at run-time (and indeed, the nemiver executable sets:
 0x0000000f (RPATH)                      Library rpath: [/usr/lib/nemiver]

> What is it about the nemiver-devel.i386 that absolutely requires
> nemiver.i386 instead of nemiver.x86_64?

The ability to link against 32-bit libs.