Why does fstab use partition UUIDs vice partition labels in F9 beta?

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 18:20:14 UTC 2008

Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
> Bill Nottingham wrote:
>> Clyde E. Kunkel (clydekunkel7734 at cox.net) said:
>>> Much harder now to match up partitions with mount points.  Labels are
>>> easier to work with.  But, a good rational and logical explanation
>>> will shut me up and I will get back to coloring. :-)
>>
>> UUIDs are unique. (In theory, anyway.) Labels aren't.
>>
>> Bill
>>
>  (grumble, grumble) OK, back to coloring.

It would be nice to get a commented line above each that has the label that the next
line's UUID is expected to be in reference to.  Basically a human readable comment but if
there were multiple partitions that had the same label you'd still get unique identifiers
in fstab but have two UUIDs that have commented out labels that match.

For a partition labeled 'archive'
# archive
UUID#######  /dev/sdx  ext3  defaults 0 0