Why does fstab use partition UUIDs vice partition labels in F9 beta?

Clyde E. Kunkel clydekunkel7734 at cox.net
Wed Mar 26 18:43:59 UTC 2008

Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
> <snip>
> But that's the problem - your labels might have been unique on your
> systems but there's no way to guarantee they're globally unique.
>
> Cheers,
> Bryn.

<snip>

OK, tell me more...if, on my test system I set up several small boot
partitions and label them with the distro I am testing and make sure
each name is unique, where would a global conflict occur?  Aren't the
names used in context?  If this were a mumps (M) system, I can see where
you would have to be very careful, but, thank heavens, its linux.