Easter Rawhide

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Thu Mar 27 18:33:47 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 13:58 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 01:43:49PM -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > Unfortunately we pick depth before resolution, so it's a bit difficult
> > to look ahead and know "oh, we've been asked for 800x600, we should
> > downgrade to 16bpp".  I can probably hack something up for the chips
> > driver, but it really is a per-driver thing.
>
> Seems strange it is so. At the point we pick depth we can aspire to 800x600
> unless already asked otherwise surely ?

I suppose I'm only saying what the driver _does_, not what it could do.

The problem is your config file looks like:

Section "Screen"
    # stuff
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth 24
        Modes "800x600"
    EndSubsection
EndSection

So how do you interpret that?  You've asked for 800x600x24.  Should we
fail to launch, or give you something other than you asked for?  Both
options kinda suck.  If you don't specify a default depth, you get
something driver-specific, but if you do so, there's no place to get the
Modes list from, so there's no way to ask for 800x600.

I suppose for sufficiently gimpy chips we could just write out
DefaultDepth 16 instead.  Or I could just add Modes as a keyword to the
Screen section and fix up pyxf86config/rhpxl/s-c-d to write that out
instead, and then let the driver make a best effort to match the mode at
whatever depth it can.

- ajax