Rawhide 20080328 Snapshot Released

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Mar 30 01:22:31 UTC 2008

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-03-29 at 22:59 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
>> Is it difficult to release jigdos?
>
> The problem is this.
>
> Jigdo would require the exploaded bits be available by http.  Trying to
> sync all that content around the mirrors in any sort of reasonable time
> frame is not going to happen.  Hanging the entire tree off of a single
> http point is not going to happen either, that point would quickly drown
> under the connections.  We can't just rely on rawhide as tomorrow the
> rawhide content will be different and you wouldn't be able to complete
> your jigdo.
>
> If we're to have any sort of fast to the public snapshoting, we have to
> use a delivery mechanism that is capable of spreading the bandwidth load
> throughout the users without bringing down the host.  Right now, that
> only leaves us with bittorrent as an option.
>
> Now, if there were some way to combine bittorrent and jigdo and if jigdo
> had better failover methods when mirrors are hit without the content we
> could potentially do something better.  Jigdo + rawhide + whatever you
> already have for the majority of the content, bittorrent to suck down
> the very last little bit or something along those lines.

I like Andrew's suggestion of keeping stuff around in the mirrors for a
time, and that will probably be beneficial to the mirrors as they will
become more reliable.

What problems a user might have in completing  jigdo would depend on
timing wrt their mirror's update (and I will assume mirrors manage theri
refresh so the are consistent), and their download speed. I'm on ADSL2+
at a handy distance from my exchange and I can pull stuff pretty quickly
- 1.2 Mytes/sec and better, but I well remember pulling 3 Gbytes/month
through a modem - not everyone does so well. For me filling out a jigdo
isn't hard.

Using bittorrent at all is still a problem for those with unfriendly
firewalls; is rsync from a master copy an option?

Ideally someone would write a script to wrap the whole procedure so it's
not "too much trouble" for users.

--

Cheers
John