MS Office file problem in f9

Peter Bloomfield peterbloomfield at bellsouth.net
Thu May 1 02:27:56 UTC 2008

I'm having problems with MS Office files since upgrading to F9 rawhide.  A
Word file, which I can read in F8 OpenOffice.org and AbiWord, "file" shows
as

meeting stuff_0425, 2007.doc:                Microsoft Office Document

In f9, AbiWord displays garbage; OO.o pops up the "import text file"
dialog, and then displays the same garbage; and "file" reports that the
file is "data".

Versions are:

f8:
GNOME AbiWord-2.4 2.4.6
openoffice.org-writer-2.3.0-6.14.fc8
file-4.21

f9:
GNOME abiword 2.6.2
openoffice.org-writer-2.4.0-12.8.fc9.i386
file-4.23

Is this a configuration problem?  All suggestions welcome!