What runs "Setting up disk encryption" in F9 prerelease?

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Thu May 1 09:54:16 UTC 2008

Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
>> How do I get all LVs to activate before activation of disk encryption?
>>
>> I am mounting an encrypted filesystem in fstab that resides on a VG
>> different from my un-encrypted root filesystem.
>>
>> The root LV is initialized in the initrd, but the remaining are not
>> initialized until after udev starts.  This apparently leads to an
>> initial failure, based on the msgs I am seeing, for "Starting disk
>> encryption" preceeds "Setting up Logical Volume Management".  After
>> LVM is setup, "Starting Disk Encryption" is run again and I can enter
>> the pass phrase and all is well.
>>
>> Tho the problem is currently self healing, it seems that something is
>> out of sync.
>>

> Anyone?  This is Fedora 9 prerelease updated to current.

Interesting problem.  I don't know the answer to what does it, but since you
have the choice of either encrypting the entire volume group or the logical
volumes separately I think it must start before LVM gets started.  Otherwise,
you might not be able to read anything to find out if you need to decrypt it.
It may just be an unfortunate sequence that has to happen for your particular setup.

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29