superuser console?

Alain PORTAL alain.portal at free.fr
Thu May 1 18:54:54 UTC 2008

Le jeudi 01 mai 2008, Bryn M. Reeves a écrit :
> Alain PORTAL wrote:
> > Nobody needs dayly a console with fully superuser permissions when he
> > works as a normal user?
>
> Run "su -"?

Sure, this works
But you have to be an informed user to do that.
What about stupid people?
What about uniformed people?
What about people who come from Windows(TM) world?

> > As an example, every time I need to know a status service, I need
> > to "/sbin/service" instead of "service"?
>
> That's just down to the setting of your PATH environment variable. If it
> upsets you, change it in /etc/profile (for all users), or
> ~/.bash_profile (for your own account - assuming you use bash as your
> default shell).
>
> Add something like:
>
> export PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:$PATH
>
> > For me, this really a regression about a Linux Distribution can offer me.
> >
> > Should I have to build my Linux from scratch to get an old behaviour?
>
> You can if you like:
>
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
>
> It's a great learning experience (seriously!). But if you build it with
> KDE4 you will probably find that you have exactly the same problem there.

Be sure I don't want to build a Linux from scrach ;-)
I know the link.

But I remember a meeting one year ago, where was RMS present, where SuSe (TM)
made a great effort to build a disribution user friendly (It seems is
was...).

And I would like Fedora making better!

And I say, perhaps I'm stupid, but don't have a super usermode console entry
in the menu is a regression!

Think what you want.

I think that too many people forget newbies.
As I came from FC6, I can consider me as a newbie (newby?) with this F9.

I can also close my mouth and leave you to believe that everything is fine.
In my humble opinion, this is not the case.

I don't say any more about that, my english don't allow me.

As summary, I'm afraid that nobobdy complait about this behaviour and
everybody forget non Linux user who want to try to make the step.
--
Les pages de manuel Linux en français
http://manpagesfr.free.fr/