preupgrade - how it works?

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Thu May 1 20:37:00 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 22:24 +0200, Adam Pribyl wrote:
> Just for my understanding how preupgrade works
> 1. does it download also packages from third party repositories, if
> repository is configured and used in the system, to do upgrade?

no, it doesn't. Just from the fedora base repository.

> 2. when doing upgrade later in version lifecycle (e.g. upgrading from
> F8->F9 at time when F10 is already released) is it downloading latest
> anaconda stage and packages from F9 updates (no update (=downloading of
> +-1GB of updates) is needed after upgrade)?

It is not downloading updates. That creates problems with what anaconda
is doing.

> If both is Yes, that this is really the best upgrade method ever invented
> (so far :).

Sorry it's not the best upgrade method ever invented (so far).

However, both the things you've mentioned are things we want to do and
we're reasonably sure there is nothing insurmountable about doing them.

We're just taking it a little bit at a time.

-sv