superuser console?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu May 1 23:13:27 UTC 2008

Alain PORTAL wrote:
> Le jeudi 01 mai 2008, Rex Dieter a �crit :
>> Alain PORTAL wrote:
>>> Is it a KDE or a Fedora non-feature?
>> KDE (ie, we haven't done anything to affect this anyway).
>
> OK.
>
> And nobody complaint about that????
>
> Every body is happy with that behaviour?

I've been using KDE since 1.x or so. On f9 I use Gnome.

> Nobody needs dayly a console with fully superuser permissions when he works as
> a normal user?

I set up and use sudo, so the lack of root console wouldn't affect me,
even if I continued using KDE.

> As an example, every time I need to know a status service, I need
> to "/sbin/service" instead of "service"?

Configure $PATH in .bashrc or .bash_profile

> For me, this really a regression about a Linux Distribution can offer me.
>
> Should I have to build my Linux from scratch to get an old behaviour?

Be our guest:-)

Might be easier to switch to Debian, Ubuntu or OpenSUSE. If you want to
build your own, try gentoo.

--

Cheers
John