GDM Greeter

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Fri May 2 04:02:30 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 18:47, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> You have not actually tried it, have you ? Your 10000 network users are
> not going to show up in the user list, since we only populate the list
> with local users.

No I hadn't.  I have the F9 Preview and have made it as far as
installing it on a few beaters and briefly looking around.  Hadn't had
time to try putting one into the  network after hours.  But others in
this thread were referring to NFS and or autofs homes so I ASSumed.
Serves me right.  :)   Doing NIS here so I'll be ok on that score.

> Not sure which xml file you are talking about. Last time I
> checked, /etc/gdm/custom.conf had the same format as always...

Was sure I'd read something on this list within the last week about it
all going into the great gconf black hole.  Ok, good to hear there is
still some sanity in the world.

But while in a rantin' mood anyway I'll say that I wish, just for a
change, that when a major rewrite gets rolled out it would start with at
least 75% of the functionality of the version being replaced.  How many
times has sound, package management, printer configuration, etc. been
replaced in the last decade?  Were they all so horrible that rip and
replace was the only option?  It's after watching it happen so many
times that it becomes all too easy to believe it's silly season again.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris     This post is 100% M$Free!