gvfs mount

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Fri May 2 04:46:49 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 23:05 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 22:54 -0400, Christopher L Tubbs II wrote:
> > Can anybody tell me what this gvfs-fuse-daemon is doing mounted to a
> > dotfile in my home directory? (.gvfs). It's new to F9 apparently (I
> > never noticed it in F8, and it definitely wasn't there in F7).
> >
> > Why do I need it and can I get rid of it?
>
> You need it if you want to be able to use posix applications on all
> sorts of exotic mounts. E.g editing text files on a gphoto mount, or in
> a mounted archive.
>
> To get rid of it:
>
> GVFS_DISABLE_FUSE=1
> export GVFS_DISABLE_FUSE

Does that actually remove it if it already exists? I normally run KDE
but tried Gnome for a day or two just for laughs, and now I see a .gvfs
in my home directory, which I can't even run "ls -l" or "file" on,
including as root. I get "cannot access .gvfs: Transport endpoint is not
connected". If I hadn't read somewhere about the new GVFS filesystem I
would be totally at a loss as to what this was, and with no idea as to
how to find out.

poc