yum requires a lot of time but not a lot of processor

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Fri May 2 14:16:05 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 13:22 +0300, cornel panceac wrote:
> # time package-cleanup --orphans
> setting up yum
> beecrypt-4.1.2-13.i386
>
> real 62m54.5485s
> user 16m24.332s
> sys 20m33.451s

Well, a lot of that time may have been downloading metadata.
for me on rawhide here's it runs with this timing:

> #
>
> in all this time processor usage as shown by top was between 6 and 50
> %
>
> also i've noted that resolving dependencies while yum update/install
> <somepackage> eats most of the time, especially with only one package
> as target

again - do you know if there was any metadata download? How much time
are you seeing in total?

If you run yum like this:

echo 'n' | yum -d3 whatever command | grep 'time:' then you'll get the
timing outputs for each major operation yum does.

-sv