gvfs mount

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Fri May 2 14:33:08 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 10:14 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 09:31 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> > > It is just a directory. It is used as mountpoint for a fuse mount, which
> > > has quite a few tools struggling a bit...
> >
> > If it's "just a directory" I should be able to do this:
> >
> > # ls -ld .gvfs
> > ls: cannot access .gvfs: Permission denied
> >
> > This is simply unacceptable. A mysterious file in my home directory that
> > I can't discover *anything* about!
>
> Running mount will tell you something about it

True, but who thinks "Permission Denied? Oh, I'll just run 'mount'"? The
basic tool for finding out about a file is 'ls' (followed in some case
by 'file'). That's what one uses many times a day and it should be able
to tell me something intelligible if run as root.

I presume this is a bug in GVFS.

poc