GDM Greeter

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Fri May 2 15:29:53 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 02, 2008 at 12:22:47AM -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 00:16 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> >
> > How are you distinguishing local users from any other kind?
>
> Local users are the ones you get by reading /etc/passwd.

As somebody recently explained on this list, and I have seen done in
practice as well, some NIS files are periodically synchronized to
local machines; /etc/passwd in particular.  This is done to have at
least some functionality if NIS went away for a moment.

People using such tactics, and with a bigger /etc/passwd, will be
for a surprise.

   Michal