pulseaudio group pulse-rt

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Sat May 3 21:45:56 UTC 2008

Neal Becker wrote:
> I see these messages:
>
> May  3 17:30:33 nbecker1 pulseaudio[31536]: main.c: Called SUID root and
> real-time/high-priority scheduling was requested in the configuration.
> However, we lack the necessary priviliges:
> May  3 17:30:33 nbecker1 pulseaudio[31536]: main.c: We are not in
> group 'pulse-rt' and PolicyKit refuse to grant us priviliges. Dropping SUID
> again.
> May  3 17:30:33 nbecker1 pulseaudio[31536]: main.c: For enabling real-time
> scheduling please acquire the appropriate PolicyKit priviliges, or become a
> member of 'pulse-rt', or increase the RLIMIT_NICE/RLIMIT_RTPRIO resource
> limits for this user.
>
> But I AM in pulse-rt group.  Seems strange.  Either it's broken, or perhaps
> this message was posted when I was not logged in?  (Doesn't say what user
> it's complaining about, but I'm the only account on this machine)

Use the authorizations tool in system->preferences->system to set yourself as
authorized by policykit for realtime pulseaudio.  That should then take care of
it I think, and you might be right its not really running under your user at the
time (not positive about that).

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29